Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Awesome response, as usual. It is a sincere and refreshing pleasure to do business with DTN, compared to your competition." - Comment from Ryan
"It’s so nice to be working with real professionals!" - Comment from Len
"You have an excellent product !!!!!!" - Comment from Arely
"I would just like to say that IQFeed version 4 is running very well and I am very happy with its performance. I would also like to extend a big thanks for the fast and efficient help that I always receive. My questions and concerns are always addressed promptly. Way to go!" - Comment from Josh in CO.
"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"I had always used ******* but for the past 2 weeks have been trying DTN IQFeed. Customer support has been extraordinary. They call just to make sure your problem hasn't recurred." - Comment from Public Forum
"I am very happy I changed. I love the product, but more so I am thrilled with Tech Support. You are knowledgeable, polite, pleasant and professional." - Comment from Pat
"DTN has never given me problems. It is incredibly stable. In fact I've occasionally lost the data feed from Interactive Brokers, but still been able to trade because I'm getting good data from DTN." - Comment from Leighton
"I "bracket trade" all major news releases and I have not found one lag or glitch with DTN.IQ feed. I am very comfortable with their feed under all typical news conditions (Fed releases, employment numbers, etc)." - Comment from Public Forum
"And by the way, have to say this. I love the IQFeed software. It's rock solid and it has a really nice API." - Comment from Thomas via RT Chat
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »Data and Content Support »Disappearing volume on 1min @C# and @S# contracts
Author Topic: Disappearing volume on 1min @C# and @S# contracts (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)

steve1986
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 10:07 AM          Msg. 1 of 6
I'm looking at the 1 min charts for @C# and @S# and I'm seeing that the daily volumes appear to essentially disappear to negligible amounts. The problem appears to be worse on the @S# contract.

For example, as recently as 9-15-2010 to present, the number of contracts per day is roughly 40k in total, but they drop to around 10k starting from 6/25/2010. Some days are in the 100s of contracts traded which doesn't make sense to me.

For the @C# contract, from 8-31-2010 I see the number of contracts drop to below 10k and then jump to over 100k on 9-15-2010.

This pattern appears throughout the entire 1-min dataset for @C# and @S#.

Is there a possible problem with how the rollover days were calculated for these continuous contracts?

steve1986
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 10:00 AM          Msg. 2 of 6
Hi, Would anyone know the answer to this?

thanks,

Steve

DTN_CurtisT
-DTN Technical Support-

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 10:05 AM          Msg. 3 of 6
Hello Steve, with these contracts @C# & @S#, they will roll on the date of Expiration, so most of the trading has already rolled to the next contract by then. So you will usually see the volumes drop around that time and when the Continuous contract rolls to the next month it will display that next months higher volumes instead. If you have any other problems or questions please let us know.

Thanks.

Curtis Thompson
curtis.thompson@dtn.com
Trading Markets Customer Service
1-800-397-7000 x3614

steve1986
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 11:07 AM          Msg. 4 of 6
Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the response, Curtis.

I was wondering if you could clarify:

Are you saying that the continuous contracts for corn and soy, @C# and @S#, will give data for the wrong contract every few months (ie. not the "active" contract), during the rollover period? I'm looking at the tick data returned for @C# for the last month and it definitely seems to extend to tick data.

What other contracts does this problem occur with? I've analyzed the equity indexes such as the ES, YM and TF, and they don't appear to have this problem of rolling over too early. Do they suffer from the same problem?

This is extremely important for me to understand because the data I require needs the most active contract, and if I can't rely on your data being accurate, then I need to know.

thanks,

Steve

DTN_CurtisT
-DTN Technical Support-

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 02:58 PM          Msg. 5 of 6
Hello Steve,

With these two grain futures, the data that you see near the expiration is correct for that current front month however, if the trading has rolled already to the next front month our continuous contracts will not reflect that till it actually rolls.

As to other future contracts the rollovers for them will vary depending on the contract specifications for them, for example on the mini futures (ES, YM, TFS) these will roll 8 days prior to expiration, and most of the trading rolls around the same time for these.

Currently we do not have a continuous contract that follows what the volume or Open Interest is doing within a specific future. However, we are looking into possibly having a separate continuous contract that will roll with Volume or through some other process to more closely follow what the actual trading is doing. This is still in early development so we do not currently have an exact ETA of when these will be released.

Curtis Thompson
curtis.thompson@dtn.com
Trading Markets Customer Service
1-800-397-7000 x3614

jokerjoe
-Interested User-

Posted: Jul 4, 2011 10:42 PM          Msg. 6 of 6
Hi, is there any update regarding continuous contracts rolling with volume/OI?

Time: Sun May 19, 2024 3:48 PM CFBB v1.2.0 6 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003