Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"You have an excellent feed. Very few spikes for Spot Forex." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"DTN feed was the only feed that consistently matched Bloomberg feed for BID/ASK data verification work these past years......DTN feed is a must for my supply & demand based trading using Cumulative Delta" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I would just like to say that IQFeed version 4 is running very well and I am very happy with its performance. I would also like to extend a big thanks for the fast and efficient help that I always receive. My questions and concerns are always addressed promptly. Way to go!" - Comment from Josh in CO.
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"Awesome response, as usual. It is a sincere and refreshing pleasure to do business with DTN, compared to your competition." - Comment from Ryan
"IQ feed is brilliant. The support is mind-bending. What service!" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"The service is great, I see a noticeable improvement in my volume profiles over [broker]'s data feed" - Comment from Larry
"It’s so nice to be working with real professionals!" - Comment from Len
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Linux support
Author Topic: Linux support (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)

zeta34
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 12:16 PM          Msg. 1 of 11
Now that the IQ32.dll is no longer required, how long before Linux is supported?

taa_dtn
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 05:11 PM          Msg. 2 of 11
This doesn't answer your question exactly, but it might be useful information.

I've experimented with running recent versions of IQFeed on Fedora 11 using Wine 1.1.32. It generates a few error messages (mismatched CoUninitialize, if I remember rightly) but appears to function correctly and efficiently.

Since Wine isn't an emulator or a virtual machine environment, I would guess that using it to run IQConnect doesn't violate the ban on redistributing data; the data is received and used on a single real machine. However, I doubt the DTN folks have done any of the testing that would be required to make it an officially-supported platform. We'd have to ask them directly to clear up those issues.

And yes, I'd also like to see an official IQFeed client for Linux.

Allen

redblue
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 11, 2010 01:38 AM          Msg. 3 of 11
For what it's worth I also have ran IQFeed under wine (1.0.1) on Ubuntu. This is mainly for testing/profiling but it does seem to work rather well.

Regards,

Jeremy.

zeta34
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 11:45 PM          Msg. 4 of 11
Can an IQFeed rep please comment on this?

rnicoll
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 06:27 PM          Msg. 5 of 11
I've got IQFeed working with my own projects under Ubuntu (Karmic Koala), but having problems with OS X (lack of any official Wine client probably not a good start)..

DTN, I can understand you don't want a dozen extra test platforms, but surely you can move across to compiling to CIL and throw Ubuntu latest and a Mac into your test environment?

busitech
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 16, 2010 10:26 PM          Msg. 6 of 11
We want to use this feed on Mac OS X. Are there any alternatives to IQFeed which already support Mac and/or Linux?

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 04:22 PM          Msg. 7 of 11
IQFeed won't work on Mac OS as an API for your own development. The only option for IQFeed on Mac OS is with InvestorRT software. InvestorRT has a Mac OS version of their software which talks directly to our servers and thus bypasses the IQFeed windows client. Otherwise, IQFeed will run on Linux via WINE (as you discovered on another thread).

Jay Froscheiser
DTN

busitech
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 04:35 PM          Msg. 8 of 11
Which DTN feed did InvestorRT use for development, to connect directly to DTN servers? We have our parser written to the D8080 on the Satellite feed currently, and wish to add Options. Options were removed from satellite, so we're forced to switch.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 05:11 PM          Msg. 9 of 11
They connect to IQFeed's servers. They have been doing this for nearly 15 years and the only option we have for developers now is utilizing the IQFeed client or NxCore for data feeds (both windows clients). We are working on a Java version of IQFeed that will be cross platform, but it is still early in development.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN

busitech
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 05:38 PM          Msg. 10 of 11
WINE has been ported to Mac OS X, so I'm going to give it a test drive.

redblue
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 19, 2010 06:11 AM          Msg. 11 of 11
Hi Jay,

Just a follow up on your comments regarding a cross platform version of IQFeed in Java.

I am assuming that IQfeed is currently written in C/C++. If so, it should be easy enough to convert to run on any platform - minus the GUI interface? I'm sure most people on Linux could cope with no GUI. If a GUI is needed, then there are plenty of cross platform GUI toolkits that could be used.

I'm not anti java, but it does add another large dependency to deploy an IQFeed based app. Then there are the "performance and memory issues" that will crop up when using the standard Java runtime. In short, the Java version is likely to be slower and use more memory.

Wouldn't the best approach be to allow application developers to connect directly to your servers using a well specified API? Would certainly reduced latency and have a few other positive benefits as well.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Time: Sat May 4, 2024 1:36 AM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003