Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I've been using IQFeed 4 in a multi-threaded situation for the last week or two on 2600 symbols or so with 100 simultaneous daily charts, and I have had 100% responsiveness." - Comment from Scott
"I will tell others who want to go into trading that DTN ProphetX is an invaluable tool, I don't think anyone can trade without it..." - Comment from Luther
"I have been using IQFeed now for a few years in MultiCharts and I have zero complaints. Very, very rare to have any data hiccups or anything at all go wrong." - Comment from Public Forum
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"I like you guys better than *******...much more stable and a whole lot fewer issues." - Comment from Philip
"I am keeping IQFeed, much better reliabilty than *******. I may refer a few other people in the office to switch as well." - Comment from Don
"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"I had always used ******* but for the past 2 weeks have been trying DTN IQFeed. Customer support has been extraordinary. They call just to make sure your problem hasn't recurred." - Comment from Public Forum
"If someone needs the best quality data and backfill beyond what their broker provides at a rate that is the best in the industry, I highly recommend IQFeed." - Comment from Josh via Public Forum
"Just a thank you for the very helpful and prompt assistance and services. You provided me with noticeably superior service in my setup compared to a couple of other options I had looked at." - Comment from John
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Fast market probelm
Author Topic: Fast market probelm (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)

mac
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 09:44 AM          Msg. 1 of 4
I am relatively new to IQFeed and to socket programming in general. I’m coding in .Net. I’m basically doing the same socket reads as the example code, Level1Socket. I was naive to think I could keep up with the socket, I think.

I haven’t been monitoring the Admin socket so I don’t know how often I have queued data. I happened to be trading in a fast market at 08:17 - 08:18 ET June 28 when there was significant futures movement. I only watch 5 symbols; Globex currencies Euro, Japanese Yen, Australian Dollar, E-mini Nasdaq and AAPL. Euro currency had a very fast move at this time. I log level 1 update (bid/ask) latency during a trade. I was seeing 25-35 SECOND latencies.

After seeing this, I opened the Diagnostic program for market open at 9:30 ET to see if it reported any queued data. It showed none.

My machine clock is managed by a windows port of ntp.org software, so it is quite accurate (always within a few milliseconds of ntp time).

Is it possible for IQFeed to see if there were an abnormal amount of prints in this period relative to market open. I recorded around 6000 prints in the 08:18:00-08:18:59 minute for Euro Currency Sept 2017 (100 per second).

Unfortunately, having never seen this before, I didn’t spend too much effort optimizing my software. Every print, regardless of the product, fires an event with 5 subscribing class instances, one subscription per product. In the even handler, I check to see if the event args match the product I’m interest in. Maybe a better approach would be to open 5 different sockets, one per product. This could expand to 15 or 20 products in the future but not 100’s. This way I could read from the back of the socket? If a print is old, just throw it out. I just want the most recent info. If I had one socket per product, I could just grab the last update and throw the rest away. Also, this would enable me to fire an event with only one subscriber.

Also unfortunate, I don’t know where the bottleneck is.

Any thoughts?

MAC

mac
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 10:43 AM          Msg. 2 of 4
I should note, the numbers quoted above (100 prints per second) were filtered prints. These were only logged if Bid or Ask price changed. I was not logging changes in size at the same price. It is likely much higher than 100 per second.

That said, I'm running a test right now that shows no latency issues with similar filtering. I'm getting fewer price changes since there isn't a fast market but only on the order of 30%-50%. I'm sampling every 10 seconds and see around 30-50 bid/ask price changes per second for ECU7. I am however subscribed to all 5 products. Average latencies are normal at around 75 milliseconds.

It's starting to look like my app can handle the throughput.

Any reported problems at IQFeed this morning?

MAC

mac
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 11:25 AM          Msg. 3 of 4
OK, my bad. I see 61,000 prints in the 8:17 minute.

That said, should a C# program be able to handle 1000+ prints per second? Is it possible?

MAC

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 11:35 AM          Msg. 4 of 4
Many people watch 1800 symbols without issue, so it is certainly doable. So don't worry, we can get this.

Are you printing messages to a console somewhere? If so, that is the first thing that will have to go. Other things include inserting or writing on each update, build a 1000 or so messages before doing a batch insert. Basically, anything that happens between read of the socket 1 and read of the socket 2 needs to be looked at and considered. If there is any heavy processing happening between those, you would want to move that to a separate thread.

If you have more specific questions you can also reach me at the email listed at the bottom of this page, https://www.iqfeed.net/dev/main.cfm

Tim

Time: Fri April 26, 2024 12:30 PM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003