Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I've been using IQFeed 4 in a multi-threaded situation for the last week or two on 2600 symbols or so with 100 simultaneous daily charts, and I have had 100% responsiveness." - Comment from Scott
"I will tell others who want to go into trading that DTN ProphetX is an invaluable tool, I don't think anyone can trade without it..." - Comment from Luther
"I have been using IQFeed now for a few years in MultiCharts and I have zero complaints. Very, very rare to have any data hiccups or anything at all go wrong." - Comment from Public Forum
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"I like you guys better than *******...much more stable and a whole lot fewer issues." - Comment from Philip
"I am keeping IQFeed, much better reliabilty than *******. I may refer a few other people in the office to switch as well." - Comment from Don
"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"I had always used ******* but for the past 2 weeks have been trying DTN IQFeed. Customer support has been extraordinary. They call just to make sure your problem hasn't recurred." - Comment from Public Forum
"If someone needs the best quality data and backfill beyond what their broker provides at a rate that is the best in the industry, I highly recommend IQFeed." - Comment from Josh via Public Forum
"Just a thank you for the very helpful and prompt assistance and services. You provided me with noticeably superior service in my setup compared to a couple of other options I had looked at." - Comment from John
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »DTN.IQ Client Software Support »speed of backfill
Author Topic: speed of backfill (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)

mlsignups
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 15, 2006 07:10 PM          Msg. 1 of 13
I use AmiBroker as my front end and when I backfill 60 or 90 days (1 minute data) on a stock from Esignal (which I still have but would like to get rid of) it takes 1 or 2 seconds to fill in, while my IQ Feed can take at least 10 seconds or longer. When you are trying to backfill a bunch of stocks this is quite painful.

Do you have any suggestions that might increase the download speed and/or is this something you are aware of and/or working on?

Thanks

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Mar 15, 2006 07:16 PM          Msg. 2 of 13
This is something that has been reported and we have confirmed. We are looking into the issue and trying to determine if it is server, protocol, or client related. We do have some work that is being completed and tested on the client that will make the history process better, but I'm not sure currently if it will speeed things up. I can assure you this is on our "top 5" list and is something that will be addressed.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

mlsignups
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 15, 2006 07:46 PM          Msg. 3 of 13
Thanks. It seems that if other backfilles (Esignal, Tradestation) happen much faster there should be something you guys can do.

dentist007
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 17, 2006 04:18 AM          Msg. 4 of 13
yep.it can be really slow sometimes.jay,please look into this urgently.thanks

mlsignups
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 23, 2006 08:42 AM          Msg. 5 of 13
The last 2 days I've tried downloading 1 minute backfill at about 8:30am or 9am for about 20 days of backfill & the speed was pretty good (previously I had tried a longer backfill).

I don't know if you changed anything, if it is time of day, or quantity of info.

Mike

mlsignups
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 29, 2006 08:14 PM          Msg. 6 of 13
For what it's worth, I noticed something tonight.

At least in AmiBroker...

When Esignal backfills it seems to give you the most current data first, so it appears on the screen almost instantly and then it seems to backfill backwards from there.

Your system just sits w/ a blank screen until all the data is there (I think) then it all fills in.

The speed issue may be somewhat perception but I'd still like to know if you believe you are making any progress on this.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Mar 29, 2006 09:58 PM          Msg. 7 of 13
This is something that the IQFeed client and server developers are looking at and working on optimizing. Esignal does pull historical data differently so as to start returning data immediately while loading the rest. I believe IQFeed has 2 interfaces for pulling historical data, and the newer interface will allow developers to process the data as it is received as opposed to waiting for it all to arrive before displaying it. I am not sure which interface AmiBroker is using, but we will get in touch with Tomasz or take a look at it internally to see if we can determine if there is something he can do in the mean time that will help the historical data load times.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

bboyle1234
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 03:08 PM          Msg. 8 of 13
Hi Jay,

Did you manage to improve the speed of the intra-day backfill?

cheers / ben

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 03:11 PM          Msg. 9 of 13
Depending upon how and what data you are pulling, the historical retrieval speed has been increased over the past couple releases. There is still some room for improvement, but it has sped up with the latest couple versions of IQFeed.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

bboyle1234
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 03:14 PM          Msg. 10 of 13
Let's imagine you pull up an option chain for AAPL, and then download the intra-day back fill data for each option in the chain. How long would that take?

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 03:15 PM          Msg. 11 of 13
There have been some definate improvements to the backfill speeds in releases since your last post. Have you tried the 4.1.2.0 version yet? I believe it came out in August.

There are still several third party vendors who have not updated the plugin to take advantage of this new functionality. So if you do not see any improvements with the new feed, let me know what software you are using and I will try and install it and get the best result possible for you.
Edited by DTN_Tim Walter on Nov 28, 2006 at 03:15 PM

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 03:35 PM          Msg. 12 of 13
The time it takes varies based on how active the symbol is, what interval you request and the speed of your internet connection. I just pulled all options for AAPL (174 symbols) and it took just under 15 seconds to pull 1 week of tick data for all contracts, and just under 15 seconds to pull 1 minute data back to 8/1/06. Keep in mind that many options contracts don't have any volume or trades, so the time taken to pull the data is much lower than it would take to pull 175 active stocks.

This was using a commercial 3rd party software package that has written to IQFeed.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

bboyle1234
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 05:03 PM          Msg. 13 of 13
Wow! you guys are quick :-)
Thx, 15 sec is fast enough

Time: Fri April 26, 2024 11:56 AM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003