Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Awesome response, as usual. It is a sincere and refreshing pleasure to do business with DTN, compared to your competition." - Comment from Ryan
"Thanks for following up with me. You guys do a great job in tech support." - Comment from Phelps
"IQFeed version 4 is a real screamer compared to anything else I have seen." - Comment from Tom
"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
"DTN has never given me problems. It is incredibly stable. In fact I've occasionally lost the data feed from Interactive Brokers, but still been able to trade because I'm getting good data from DTN." - Comment from Leighton
"I'm satisfied with IQFeed. It's the most reliable and fastest quote feed I have ever used. Although I'm a resident in China, it's still very fast!" - Comment from Xiaofei
"Thanks for the great product and support. During this week of high volume trading, my QuoteTracker + IQ Feed setup never missed a beat. Also, thanks for your swiftness in responding to data issues. I was on ******* for a few years before I made the switch over early this year, and wish I had done it a long time ago." - Comment from Ken
"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
"I was on the phone with a friend who uses CQG and right after the Fed announcement, CQG was as much as 30 seconds behind DTN.IQ. Some quotes were off by as much as 15-18 cents. Your feed never missed a beat." - Comment from Roger
"Version 4.0.0.2 has been working well for me and I appreciate that it is now a much tighter client to work with. I feel I can go to press with my own application and rely on a stable platform" - Comment from David in IA.
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »Data and Content Support »using iqfeed to view many symbols.
Author Topic: using iqfeed to view many symbols. (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)

TLikins
-Interested User-

Howdy

Posted: Sep 12, 2005 10:55 PM          Msg. 1 of 6
I want to use the api to review all nasd symbols. Before I pay the fee I want to know if there is any limit to the number of symbols that can be reviewed using the watchsymbol and the removesymbol functions. To be perfectly clear I want to see a summary, a sequential sampling of all symbols but not in realtime. I have received two different answers to this question, one from the API manager and one from Natalie. The former say that it should be OK, but Natalie thinks that it would violate the service agreement. Can someone please give me a definite answer one way or the other? I thought the limit was 500 realtime symbols at a time. I didn't read anything about a limit to watching and removing symbols under program control.

Thank you !

Thanks for your help!

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Sep 13, 2005 08:27 AM          Msg. 2 of 6
IQFeed is meant to be a streaming quote service, where users set a watch list, and process the incoming stream. While there is not currently a technical restriction on users churning through a symbol list, we have had to terminate users who were doing this at a rapid rate which in turn effected other users. We have no problem with people doing this after market hours to update an EOD database, but we don't want people doing it during the market as it can negatively impact other users.

We have been considering adding a snapshot function to IQFeed, which will provide a more efficient method for users to do this, but it is a ways off.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Sep 13, 2005 01:10 PM          Msg. 3 of 6
Im not sure what happened to your post, but here it is along with my reply:
Quote:
Ok, I understand certain users push the limit, but what's the difference between switching from
one watchlist to another? Does this cause your server to barf? I don't understand how looking at
a certain number of symbols and then switching to another list would effect others, please explain!
Is this a configuration/setup or bandwidth limiting problem that your trying to prevent? Here's my
idea, say I wanted to do some research on a companies historic data, is there a limit to how many I can review? I guess I need to know when does realtime data become historical data by your
standards, one day or one nano second. As far as EOD DATA I can get that from Yahoo. I'm really
having a hard time understanding what the gating criteria is for termination of your service. Like I said, I can see shutting down bandwidth hogs but looking at 4-5 parameters per symbol causing
your server or other people problem indicates that your system maybe too fragile ! for my my needs. Let's take a look at using the DDELink. under program control I can add and remove up
to 500 symbols at a time. The only down side is that either excel or your macro takes so long to
update the symbols it seems like an eternity, so what's the difference?

This issue is 2 fold. One is bandwidth. The first record we send back for a symbol contains not only the current quote information, but all fundamental data as well. Thus, the first quote packet is considerably larger than the stream of data that comes in subsequent to that. If everyone was snapshoting the data, the fees we charge wouldn't cover the bandwidth used. Second, our servers are BUILT to server streaming data. Thus, it is most efficient receiving a watch list, and sending the streaming quotes out. Because the servers weren't built for snapshot data, the watch process isn't the most effecient.

I can assure you, none of this is because our system is "too fragile" and users switching between watch lists won't cause our system to "barf". You have to understand what IQFeed was built to do, which is STREAM data to users. An individual cant switch watch lists fast enough to cause any problems, however, a user who writes their own software can. Which is why we monitor and will disable users who abuse the system.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

TLikins
-Interested User-

Howdy

Posted: Sep 13, 2005 04:32 PM          Msg. 4 of 6
Now I think I'm getting somewhere! Let me just cut to the chase. You say an individual could not switch watch list fast enough to cause problems but a program could. OK, please tell me the limit for switching between watch lists containing 500 symbols at a time under program control that won't get me kicked off.
As far as your design of sending large data packets to begin is something that's not clear to me.
My understanding is I only get what I asked for, so there must be something else related to the
streaming of data that I don't understand. I have made a tremendous investment in time and money to get this far, So what's the drop dead limit on your service? If I can't change, say 7
watch list of 500 symbols in more than one minute then I going to have problems. This is my
need for this service. The parameters I will be requesting will be less then 5 per symbol. I hope this is enough information for you to make a judgement about my case. I Look forward to your
answer because it will tell me if I can advance or be stuck using the DDE_link.

Thanks for your help!

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Sep 13, 2005 04:49 PM          Msg. 5 of 6
Your are missing a major point. IQFeed is not designed to be a snapshot service. There isn't a set limit on how often you can switch, so I can't give you a limit. We don't test our system to see what is going to trigger us to shut you off, because IQFeed isn't meant to be used in that manner.

IQFeed doesn't send ONLY the data fields you ask for. It sends all of the information to create an accurate snapshot on initial watch, then streams the data that updates. We track a symbol being watched, not the fields being watched. We don't care if you only want the last field, you are going to get all of the data that updates on that symbol (bids, asks, etc). If you are already doing this with DDE, and we haven't contacted you, then you won't have any issues with doing the same intervals within IQFeed.

For what you are wanting to do, you would be better off with our Satellite service, capturing the entire stream (which doesn't limit the symbols) and doing your scans within a local database of the data you captured.

We are looking at offering an upgraded IQFeed service that will allow you to watch more than 500 symbols. Another option is for you to buy a DTN.IQ subscription (which will allow your app to also work) which will increase your symbol limit to 1300.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

Time: Sat May 18, 2024 8:42 AM CFBB v1.2.0 13 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003