Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I am a hedge fund manager here. It’s funny, I have a Bloomberg terminal and a Bridge feed, but I still like having my DTN feed!" - Comment from Feras
"With HUGE volume on AAPL and RIMM for 2 days, everyone in a trading room was whining about freezes, crashes and lag with *******, RealTick, TS and Cyber. InvestorRT with IQFeed was rock solid. I mean SOLID!" - Comment from Public IRC Chat
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
"I have been using IQFeed now for a few years in MultiCharts and I have zero complaints. Very, very rare to have any data hiccups or anything at all go wrong." - Comment from Public Forum
"I had always used ******* but for the past 2 weeks have been trying DTN IQFeed. Customer support has been extraordinary. They call just to make sure your problem hasn't recurred." - Comment from Public Forum
"Very impressed with the quality of your feed - ******* is a real donkey in comparison." - Comment from A.C. via Email
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"Awesome response, as usual. It is a sincere and refreshing pleasure to do business with DTN, compared to your competition." - Comment from Ryan
"I started a trial a few weeks back before the market went wild. DTN.IQ didn’t miss anything and beat my other provider. I decided to stay with you because of the great service through all the volatility." - Comment from Mike
"I've been using IQFeed 4 in a multi-threaded situation for the last week or two on 2600 symbols or so with 100 simultaneous daily charts, and I have had 100% responsiveness." - Comment from Scott
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Lack of IQConnect heartbeat and best method to reset IQConnect process automatically
Author Topic: Lack of IQConnect heartbeat and best method to reset IQConnect process automatically (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)

drc34
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 19, 2013 08:36 AM          Msg. 1 of 5
Ever since I started using IQFeed, I've noticed that the feed both crashes at random points throughout the day and stops sending a heartbeat....however, I haven't noticed any discernable pattern from these crashes.

I'm checking for a connection right now by resetting a volatile java boolean value each time anything is received on any of the three ports (Admin port, L1 port, and L2 port). Since I expect to get a heartbeat from both the admin port and the L1 port every sec, I wait 5 seconds to reset the process / feed if I haven't heard anything.

The odd thing is that there can be a week without any problems, and then lately it has consistent been having problems.

1) Why does the IQConnect application stop sending a heartbeat?
2) What is the best way to reset the IQConnect process?

A general question for the community is to whether or not anyone else sees this problem

Craig
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jun 19, 2013 05:35 PM          Msg. 2 of 5
I see this as well from time to time.
The heartbeats stop for no apparent reason and a restart is needed.

dplneural
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 19, 2013 07:45 PM          Msg. 3 of 5
I also get random failures with the heartbeat message. I added a check to measure the delay against the PC clocks. If the delay is > 30 secs I display a dialog to let the user know while at the same time switching off the connections and feed which at least prevents crashes but it does require a restart.

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jun 20, 2013 05:32 PM          Msg. 4 of 5
It looks like there might be a couple different issues at play here. The first being the lack of timestamps (heartbeats) to your app and why IQConnect isn't automatically recovering from this scenario (it should already disconnect and reconnect to the servers anytime there hasn't been any data on the connection for more than 5s).

The second would be dplneural's issue where the timestamps are still coming in but are delayed (at least that's the way I interpreted your report). I'll address the second issue first. My initial guess here is that your app or your customer's internet connection is not able to keep up with the feed causing there to be a queue of data in the servers waiting to be delivered to your machine (and your app). Unfortunately, if this is the case, the only possible solutions would be to upgrade the machine and/or internet connection or reduce the amount of symbols you are watching. Of course there would also be workarounds similar to what you have implemented (detect the issue and disconnect/reconnect to clear the queue). I'm happy to work with you on troubleshooting/verifying this issue if you want to get in touch with me via the developer support email address or via chat via our website during business hours.

As far as the first issue. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would cause such a scenario to occur. As I mentioned before, if IQConnect stops getting data from the server, then it should automatically disconnect and reconnect to another server after 5s. In those cases, there should be no need to do anything in terms of the connection. Your app will get a notice that a disconnection and a reconnection has occurred and then the data should start streaming again. As far as the best way to restart the feed, the feed is designed to shut down 5s (by default) after the last client has terminated it's connection. In theory, if you simply disconnect, IQFeed should shut down on it's own and be ready to go again. If you find this isn't the case once it gets into this state, then it might give us some clues as to what is going on. Once again, I'm happy to help you troubleshoot this but unfortunately, in this case, I don't have a whole lot to start from. The best place to start would be to try and detect if there are network issues going on at the same time as the issues occur. Can you guys send me an email to developer support with some basic information about your setup? Machine Info (process/OS/RAM/etc) as well as some basic information about your network connection (bandwidth/latency to our servers/etc)?

dplneural
-Interested User-

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 11:57 PM          Msg. 5 of 5
Hi Steve,

as for the machine, I am running Asus i7 processor with 16GB RAM and 2 x SSD's while watching only 4 symbols. The heartbeat actually stops so the problem could be internet related at either end but having said that I run an app to check time against the atomic clocks and it is unaffected.

The heartbeat problem is random...it can go for days without problem and then stop several times in a session.

My app shows approx. 22 MB as working set memory and 8 MB private working set memory so it is not exactly placing a huge demand on the available RAM,

Time: Sat May 18, 2024 6:58 AM CFBB v1.2.0 12 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003