Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Everything is working great ! Very impressive client. The news refreshes better and is more pertinent than the ******* feed I paid $ 100/month for. I Also like the charts a lot." - Comment from Leon
"I've never had DTN go out on me since switching. ******* would go down a couple times every month when I was using them." - Comment from Bryce in AL.
"I am a hedge fund manager here. It’s funny, I have a Bloomberg terminal and a Bridge feed, but I still like having my DTN feed!" - Comment from Feras
"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
"If someone needs the best quality data and backfill beyond what their broker provides at a rate that is the best in the industry, I highly recommend IQFeed." - Comment from Josh via Public Forum
"Everything is working amazing now. I'm already impressed with the true-tick feed of IQFeed and it's ability to support my 480 symbol layout." - Comment from Tyler via Email
"I "bracket trade" all major news releases and I have not found one lag or glitch with DTN.IQ feed. I am very comfortable with their feed under all typical news conditions (Fed releases, employment numbers, etc)." - Comment from Public Forum
"I just wanted to let you know how fast and easy I found it to integrate IQFeed into our existing Java code using your JNI client. In my experience, such things almost never go so smoothly - great job!" - Comment from Nate
"I was with ******* for 4 years at $230 a month, this is a huge savings for me, GOD BLESS YOU PEOPLE," - Comment from T.S. via Email
"Thanks for all of your help. Great customer service deserves to be recognized which one the reasons I've been a customer of DTN for over 10 years!" - Comment from Stuart
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »Data and Content Support »Time&Sales - trades above ask/below bid
Author Topic: Time&Sales - trades above ask/below bid (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)

Peter
-Interested User-

Posted: Jul 7, 2011 08:05 AM          Msg. 1 of 6
Hello,

I see a lot of trades that occur above the ask or below the bid in the time&sales, but
how is this possible ? Normally this is not possible.

Here is a post from a NinjaTrader user (NecTecture) from NTSupport forum :
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time for a real answer now

There is no possible trade ouside the bid/ask spread. Period. The exchange will always match the closest price (best bid/ask) and execute at that price, moving the bracket (bid/ask) if there is not enough to match the order.

That being said, trades outside bid/ask are basically a data transfer issue. Because they do not say the trade happened outside bid/ask, but it happened outside bid/ask KNOWN TO THE COMPUTER.

This can be because of bad data sources (example: IB updates bid/ask with all other info only x times per second, so in the meantime a trade CAN happen outside), or because of the way the information is handled on the side of the data provider. I am not even aware whether the exchange GUARANTEES (like: always) that bid/ask moves will be under all conditions (fast market) published in proper order. Especially not during the execution of ONE trade.

Example:

I want to buy 100 ES. there is an offer of 50 at 1000, 75 at 1000.25.

My trade will thus execute 50 at 1000, 25 at 1000.25.

Practically, depending on granularity.... the exchange MAY Publish "trade 50 at 1000, new best bid is 75 at 1000.25, trade 25 at 1000.25, new best bid is 50 at 1000.25", OR it may decide to publish "trade 50 at 1000, 25 at 1000,25, new best bid is 50 at 1000.25". The later is less data.... but it means that part of the trade happens outside bid/ask on the client side, although technically naturally it happend within the at that time valid bid/ask spread.

Plus the data provider may optimize (not Zen-Fire/Rithmic, but some others may just decide to).

So, at the end, you talk of data granularity issues here, possibly even at the exchange.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/forum/showthread.php?p=236616
Post #7

Peter
-Interested User-

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 02:52 AM          Msg. 2 of 6
Any comment ?

Stan S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 07:41 AM          Msg. 3 of 6
Hi Peter,

The exchanges send us 2 data feeds, 1 for quotes (bid & ask) and 1 for trades. That is why you see what appears to be trades outside the bid & ask. The 2 feeds are due to the huge amount of data being sent, 1 feed may not be able to handle all the data.

I hope this helps.

Stan S

What we do today, determines how people remember us forever.
Be the positive force in someone life.

Jojojo
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 10, 2013 12:08 PM          Msg. 4 of 6
Has this behaviour been synchronized until today? Or are there trade-ID's which correspond to bid/ask ID's or sth. like this?
regs
Jojo

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 09:54 AM          Msg. 5 of 6
Hello,

Several exchanges still employ this model and we may see more following suit in the foreseeable future as volumes have continued to climb.

Tim

Jojojo
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 21, 2013 05:14 AM          Msg. 6 of 6
See here (unfortunately in german)

File Attached: CEF_core.pdf (downloaded 2845 times)

Time: Fri April 26, 2024 7:04 AM CFBB v1.2.0 9 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003