Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Previously I was using *******. IQFeed is WAY more economical, and for my charting needs is just as good, if not better." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"If you want customer service that answers the phone, your best bet is IQFeed. I cannot stop praising them or their technical support. They are always there for you, and they are quick. I have used ****** too but the best value is IQFeed." - Comment from Public Forum
"Thanks for following up with me. You guys do a great job in tech support." - Comment from Phelps
"If you are serious about your trading I would not rely on IB data for serious daytrading. Took me a while to justify the cost of IQ Feed and in the end, it's just a 2 point stop on ES. Better safe than sorry" - Comment from Public Forum
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
"You have an excellent product !!!!!!" - Comment from Arely
"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
"I use IQ Feed, Great stuff as far as data analysis information, storage and retrieval is concerned." - Comment from Public Forum
"I've been using IQFeed 4 in a multi-threaded situation for the last week or two on 2600 symbols or so with 100 simultaneous daily charts, and I have had 100% responsiveness." - Comment from Scott
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Admin port
Author Topic: Admin port (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)

SierraChart
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 6, 2012 02:01 PM          Msg. 1 of 9
We are noticing that when the level 2 port indicates "Account not authorized for Level II ", that the Admin port provides a System message with a status set to "Not Connected". We have not noticed this previously.

Does this make sense?

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 6, 2012 03:45 PM          Msg. 2 of 9
I am not able to verify the same here locally using the following steps:

Launch IQFeed and login with an account not authorized for L2
Connect to the Admin port and monitor streaming S,STATS messages.
Connect ot the L2 Port and see the Account not authorized message.

At no time during this does the Admin port ever send out a message indicating that you are not connected or that a reconnection has occurred.

Let me know if you have different steps that you are able to duplicate this with.

The Connected/Not Connected status in the Stats message should only be tied to the Level 1 server connection.

SierraChart
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 6, 2012 04:12 PM          Msg. 3 of 9
We will do some more testing. I should have made it clear, that it seems this is what is happening but not totally sure because we do not log the actual admin port messages. We only reestablish the connection to IQ Feed when the admin port indicates the status is not connected. The reconnection is occurring at the time that the level 2 port is indicating that it's not authorized.
Edited by SierraChart on Dec 6, 2012 at 04:13 PM

SierraChart
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 11, 2012 07:13 PM          Msg. 4 of 9
The problem has been confirmed but apparently it seems to occur randomly.

Here is a portion of our message log:

IQFeed: Server disconnected Level 2 data. Reconnecting. | 2012-12-11 19:03:39 (this line means that we received a level II port system message that said "SERVER DISCONNECTED")
Disconnected from IQ Feed Level 2 port. | 2012-12-11 19:03:39(we disconnect from the level II port)
Connecting to DTN IQFeed Level 2 port (9200)... | 2012-12-11 19:03:39(we connect to the level II port)
Connected to DTN IQFeed Level 2 port. | 2012-12-11 19:03:39(we are connected to the level II port)
IQFeed: Level 2 error: Account not authorized for Level II | 2012-12-11 19:03:39(level II port says the account is not authorized)
IQ Feed reports it is not connected. Will reconnect. | 2012-12-11 19:03:40(your admin port at this line is telling us it is "not connected")
Disconnecting from DTN IQFeed... | 2012-12-11 19:03:40(so we disconnect and reestablish the connection)
Edited by SierraChart on Dec 12, 2012 at 02:02 AM

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 12, 2012 08:08 AM          Msg. 5 of 9
Judging by that sequence of events it sounds like these are 2 separate issues.

First, it sounds like IQFeed actually did get disconnected from the servers (both Level 1 and Level 2) so the "Not Connected" in the admin port connection would be accurate.

Second it sounds like when a disconnection occurs and you disconnect and reconnect to the L2 port (before IQFeed reconnects) then you are getting the "Account not authorized for L2" error even though you were previously connected and working fine.

Does that sound accurate to what you are seeing?

SierraChart
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 12, 2012 01:57 PM          Msg. 6 of 9
This is not accurate. Here is the sequence that the log indicates:

1. Everything is connected and running
2. IQ drops the connection to L2 socket
3. SC sees "SERVER DISCONNECTED" L2 System Msg <- at this point all other sockets are connected
4. SC disconnects L2 socket, and attempts to reconnect L2 socket, all other sockets are connected
5. L2 socket connection established
6. SC sees L2 Error message "Account not authorized for Level II"
7. SC gets "Not Connected" on the admin socket
8. SC now disconnects all sockets and starts a reconnect process

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 12, 2012 03:45 PM          Msg. 7 of 9
Using those steps, I have been able to observe some issues with the L2 reconnection process (socket errors on connection/reconnection which it isn't recovering from properly) but I haven't yet been able to reproduce the Account Not authorized error or the Not Connected status on the Admin port.

As I mentioned before, there is nothing that directly ties the Admin port status message to the L2 server connection (only the L1 server connection) so anything that could be causing this would have to be an indirect result or a separate issue.

We will continue looking at the scenario internally.

With that said, is there a reason you are disconnecting after receiving the S,SERVER DISCONNECTED message? There should be no reason (from an IQFeed perspective) for you to need to disconnect and reconnect your local client sockets. IQFeed is designed to handle reconnecting to the server in the event of a complete data outage or internet connectivity disruption. In the scenario above, it is the disconnection/reconnection of the client socket (while the server connection is in the process of reconnecting) that is causing the issues I am able to see. If the client socket remains connected during the whole process, everything runs smoothly in IQConnect. As I mentioned before, we will look into this issue further and get the issues I was able to observe resolved (which hopefully would also resolve the issue you are seeing) but I would strongly recommend that you simplify the logic in your app under these scenarios and allow IQFeed to handle disconnection and reconnection and if at all possible, simply leave your local sockets connected to the feed.

SierraChart
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 12, 2012 06:10 PM          Msg. 8 of 9
So you are saying that there is no need to reconnect the level 2 port when we get a level 2 port system message that says "SERVER DISCONNECTED"?

The reason that we are disconnecting all of the sockets and reconnecting on a SERVER DISCONNECTED message on the Admin port is because it is a simple way for us to download any missing data due to interruption with the data feed. But there is another way we can do that. If we are in a connected state with IQ Feed, and then we see SERVER DISCONNECTED, and then we get a message indicating the server is connected on the Admin port, then we will do a backfill.
Edited by SierraChart on Dec 12, 2012 at 06:11 PM
Edited by SierraChart on Dec 12, 2012 at 06:12 PM

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 13, 2012 09:07 AM          Msg. 9 of 9
Correct. There is no need to disconnect from any local IQFeed socket when you get the Disconnected message. Assuming the disconnection wasn't user initiated, IQFeed will automatically attempt reconnect until a connection can be re-established. Once a connection has been re-established, you will get a S,SERVER CONNECTED message that you can use to trigger any sort of backfill that is needed. This applies to both the Level 1 and Level 2 connections. The status message on the Admin port is tied to the Level 1 connection and changes in status there should conicide with connected/disconnected messages on the Level 1 port.

Time: Tue May 7, 2024 4:40 AM CFBB v1.2.0 14 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003