Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Interactive Brokers tick data was inconsistent, so I have switched to using DTN exclusively. It is great to no longer have to worry about my datafeed all day long." - Comment from Philippe
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
"Boy, probably spent a thousand hours trying to get ******* API to work right. And now two hours to have something running with IQFeed. Hmmm, guess I was pretty stupid to fight rather than switch all this time. And have gotten more customer service from you guys already than total from them… in five years." - Comment from Jim
"I'm satisfied with IQFeed. It's the most reliable and fastest quote feed I have ever used. Although I'm a resident in China, it's still very fast!" - Comment from Xiaofei
"I had always used ******* but for the past 2 weeks have been trying DTN IQFeed. Customer support has been extraordinary. They call just to make sure your problem hasn't recurred." - Comment from Public Forum
"I started a trial a few weeks back before the market went wild. DTN.IQ didn’t miss anything and beat my other provider. I decided to stay with you because of the great service through all the volatility." - Comment from Mike
"IQ feed is brilliant. The support is mind-bending. What service!" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"Everything is working great with the API. I love it." - Comment from Calvin
"You are much better than lawyers or the phone company because you answer the phone when I call! I just love your customer service." - Comment from Isreal
"I've been using IQFeed 4 in a multi-threaded situation for the last week or two on 2600 symbols or so with 100 simultaneous daily charts, and I have had 100% responsiveness." - Comment from Scott
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Compiling C++ Samples
Author Topic: Compiling C++ Samples (33 messages, Page 1 of 2)

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 21, 2009 02:47 PM          Msg. 1 of 33
Linkage error: version.lib file cannot be found. Indeed I cannot locate it anywhere. Where is it?

Thanks.

AlexB

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 21, 2009 02:51 PM          Msg. 2 of 33
Also odbc32.lib is absent.

AlexB
Edited by alexB on Dec 21, 2009 at 02:52 PM

LonnieS
-King of IQ Development-

Posted: Dec 21, 2009 03:53 PM          Msg. 3 of 33
version.lib and odbc32.lib are not provided by IQFeed, they are part of the Microsoft Visual Studio Windows SDK and should have been installed with your Visual Studio IDE.

Lonnie Shumate
Development Manager, IQ Systems
DTN Market ACCESS

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 21, 2009 04:20 PM          Msg. 4 of 33
Thanks. I found them both in SDK but still in trouble. This time it is a modified version of permission snafu.

IntelliSense information will not be available for VC++ projects because the IntelliSense database file C:\Users\AlexB\Documents\DTN\IQFeed\VC++ Examples\vc_2005_examples.ncb could not be opened for writing.

Other features will also be affected if the solution directory is read-only.

It is NOT read only. In properties I can see myself as a user and administrator and both objects have full range of permissions though they are dimmed.

Also version.lib cannot be opened for the same reason. I sill have 18 linkage errors after I supplied the files in question.

Thanks.

AlexB

LonnieS
-King of IQ Development-

Posted: Dec 21, 2009 05:07 PM          Msg. 5 of 33
The vc_2005_examples.ncb can be deleted and it will rebuild automatically. What are the linkage errors?

Lonnie Shumate
Development Manager, IQ Systems
DTN Market ACCESS

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 11:06 AM          Msg. 6 of 33
Hi Lonnie,

I've got only two Linker errors now: odbc32.lib cannot be opened and version.lib cannot be opened. But the latter is repeated 17 times thus giving me 18 linker errors altogether:

Error 3 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'version.lib' SymbolLookupSocket SymbolLookupSocket

I need your help in resolving all this. This permission garbage is truly ridiculous.

AlexB
Edited by alexB on Dec 22, 2009 at 11:06 AM

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 11:15 AM          Msg. 7 of 33
I just deleted Examples\vc_2005_examples.ncb, reopened the project and compiled it with the same 18 errors.

I REALLY NEED A QUICK HELP WITH THIS. HOW ARE OTHER PEOPLE OPEN THE PROJECTS?

My environment is Vista Ult x64.

AlexB

Edited by alexB on Dec 22, 2009 at 11:19 AM

DTN_Nathan_Bartsch
-IQ Developer-

Telvent DTN

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 01:41 PM          Msg. 8 of 33
Could you please send the library paths from your Visual Studio 2008 as well as the value of the $(VSInstallDir) variable in your developer environment. Sometimes if you install Visual Studio to a different drive / directory than the default the Microsoft installer for Visual Studio does not properly change the library / include paths in the development enviroment.

Hopefully I can help you track down the problem.

Nathan W. Bartsch - Senior Software Engineer - DTN
Edited by DTN_Nathan_Bartsch on Dec 22, 2009 at 01:44 PM

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 02:21 PM          Msg. 9 of 33
Not quite sure what you mean. The project's library path is this:

C:\Users\AlexB\Documents\DTN\IQFeed\lib

I edited my sign in name, though.

VS2008 IDE does not have lib folder. The IDE is located in Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Commons7\IDE. There are some subfolders.

As far as the second question is concerned you will have to explain to me where I can get it. I don't immediately recall this value or where I can get it.

Do you have a way like some websites do to take over my machine and try to install the software the way it will work?

Thanks.

AlexB
Edited by alexB on Dec 22, 2009 at 02:28 PM
Edited by alexB on Dec 22, 2009 at 02:30 PM

DTN_Nathan_Bartsch
-IQ Developer-

Telvent DTN

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 02:55 PM          Msg. 10 of 33
In Visual Studio 2008,

Drop down the Tools menu, and select Options
In the box on the left is a list of option categories; Open "Projects and Solutions"
Select "VC++ directories"
On the upper right hand side under "Show directories for:" select "Library files"
Verify that the versions.lib / odbc32.lib are in one of the paths listed. It should probably be under the something with the words "Platform SDK\lib"
Load the example project in question and try compiling it, hopefully this will fix the problem.

Note: To get the the values for $(VCInstallDir) or any other definition, run the "VS Command prompt" located on the start menu under the Visual Studio Tool folder.
Type 'set' on the command prompt. This should give you a list of environment variables used by your Visual Studio.

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 03:45 PM          Msg. 11 of 33
It appears it is C:\users\AlexB\Desctop, believe it or not.

What happens, when I click on the corresponding lines in Library Files window a button appears on the right and when I click it the $(...) turns into the path and stays this way even when I close the window and get back to Tools\Options.

So, what is my next step in light of this "discovery?"

Thanks.

AlexB

DTN_Nathan_Bartsch
-IQ Developer-

Telvent DTN

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 04:00 PM          Msg. 12 of 33
For Platform "Win32" on my machine I have the following directories shown for 'Library files'

$(VCInstallDir)lib
$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\lib
$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\lib\i386
$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\lib
$(FrameworkSDKDir)\lib
$(VSInstallDir)
$(VSInstallDir)lib

You may want to hit the 'check-mark' to verify that these directories exist..

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 04:04 PM          Msg. 13 of 33
Thank you I will try it.

AlexB

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 10:35 AM          Msg. 14 of 33
Well, it is hard to trade and do development and both are necessary :)

Nathan, thank you. I don't quite understand what my next step should be in lieu of your information. I got version.lib from the SDK folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\Lib\x64)\ as I mentioned before. When it was there I was getting an error message that the file could not be found. I copied it to the project (solution) folder and attached it to one of the projects. After that I started getting errors that the file could not be opened.

This is what I have in that window:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\Lib\x64
$(VCInstallDir))bin
C:\Users\AlexB
$(VSInstallDir)Common7\Tool\bin
$(VSInstallDir)Common7\Tools
$(VSInstallDir)Common7\ide
$(ProgramFiles)HTML help Workshop
$(FrameworkSDKDir)bin
$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion)
$(VSInstallDir)
$(VSInstallDir)\SDK\v2.0\bin
$(SystemRoot)SysWow64
$(FxXCopDir)
$(PATH)

So, what shall I do?

Thanks.

AlexB

Edited by alexB on Dec 24, 2009 at 10:36 AM

DTN_Nathan_Bartsch
-IQ Developer-

Telvent DTN

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 08:24 AM          Msg. 15 of 33
These libraries are not provided by Telvent DTN and should be in the default library path. I think it will be difficult for us to try to work out what pathing should be used to properly link these libraries.

At this point, I'd try removing the version.lib and odbc32.lib from the project(s) you're trying to compile. Hopefully the particular project(s) you're looking at will link fine without these libraries.

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 12:42 PM          Msg. 16 of 33
I don't know what is going on? I tried to place the two files in project folder under a lib subfolder and attach it to the project as Add=>Existing Item. That did not help at all. I get the ssame error.

I tried your suggestion to delete the lib files but it did not help either. I did not delete them from the SDK folder though. That is fundamental.

AlexB

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 01:05 PM          Msg. 17 of 33
OK, I've resolved that problem. It turned out I had to set platform to x64 for all projects. it is a fundamentally x64 machine with VS2008 also set to x64. Now when I compile I don't get any complaints regarding version.lib or odbc32.lib. I stepped up to a new level with 52 errors instead of 18 :) They are all "Unresolved External Symbol..."

I am closing this thread and starting a new one with a new laundry set of errors.

Thanks.

AlexB

David
-DTN Evangelist-

I'd rather be...

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 05:05 PM          Msg. 18 of 33
Quote: I am closing this thread and starting a new one with a new laundry set of errors.

FWIW: I'd suggest that you take a look at the 3rd party products out there - some free - and see if they qualify for your trading ideas / needs. Most of them have spent years refining their program and interface with DTN - and, they also work on 64 bit platforms.

I suspect that some will even add new features to their program to accommodate your ideas - sometimes for free (it may have been on their to-do list) or for a small fee depending on the nature of the addition.

Good luck in your trials and tribulations.

David

IQXP Software
http://www.iqxp.com

LiveWire Update Service
PO Box 1417
Fairfield, IA 52556
641-472-8393
http://www.livewire-cablesoft.com/

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 03:52 PM          Msg. 19 of 33
FWIW: I'd suggest that you take a look at the 3rd party products out there - some free - and see if they qualify for your trading ideas / needs. Most of them have spent years refining their program and interface with DTN - and, they also work on 64 bit platforms.

I've looked at your recommedtations and I am not inpressed, sorry. All I need is to be able to get a handle of a data stream. I then can parse it and load it in my tables. To do that I either have to have a set of commands to access a server, and I need to know where the server is then I can code the rest.

With QuoteTracker, which I am usung now, the situation is clear. I have an API in my machine and it is my local server. I have a clear set of commands to communicate with it: subscribe to symbols, stop subscription, I know the stream format, constraints, etc. I can also send commands to my broker and I do it. It is a satisfactory situation to a small extent, to the extent that it is working, since I have my own API which as you say I've spent years to develop, and this API is my console that sends commands to QT API (server). It is working in a sense that I am making money in my trades. The problem is that QT is technically an exceptionally lousy contraption in one respect. It makes its client starve. I can see that QT gets feedback but my API is not being updated very often and I had to introduce buttons to prod it to give me updates. One can imagine that it can be nerve wrecking when you took a position, the price changed and you have to react to close it. I might lose seconds and hundreds of dolalrs on this delay.

I tried to work with Jerry Medved, "cursed" him mercilessly, he denied the problem, finally he demonstrated it for himselves and claimed that he fixed it. Amazingly he did not. I am not suggesting he misled me, not, he actually made a special update to fix it but the update did not seem fixed the problem or only marginally. There is something weird about it. Such delays do not occur regularly and only in heavy traffic and often if I take serious positions involving hundreds of thousands of dollars. I see no delays in PRE or POST trading hours.

I looked at IQFeed APi. Since I am unable to get it started or even compile (link) I don't know of its functionality, how it is going to be useful, but I want to use it primarily for backfills which is another problem with QT, but it is another story.

Nonetheless I like the subroutines. It all now boils down to the IQ.dll. I've been told that the beta version can work under 64 bit platform. So, I intend to get hold of that and go from there.

Now if any of the links you posted offer any code to look at, that will be much more attractive than staring at a page that offers you to subscribe. The heck with that. I am not subscribing to things I don't believe might be even remotely useful. The second link implies that the application will best work under Win98, and it is a DOS dinosaur! That sounds really funny.

Thanks.

AlexB

Edited by alexB on Jan 1, 2010 at 04:04 PM
Edited by alexB on Jan 1, 2010 at 04:31 PM

stargrazer
-DTN Guru-

Right Here & Now

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 04:37 PM          Msg. 20 of 33
You may be trying too hard on this.

One preliminary test: can you run the various programs as supplied with the IQFeed installation? If so, then the biggest hurdle has been crossed.

In the post at http://forums.dtn.com/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2623, the maintainers indicate that you can start iqconnect directly. This eliminates the need of programmatically starting the library, and therefore eliminates having anything to do with the lib, libraries, and linking errors.

Then, for validation of the documentation, 'telnet localhost 5009' manually, and run some commands.

The API is simple: open a socket, send a command, await a response and parse it. Everything is text driven.

Therefore, if you can do things by typing manually, do the exact same thing in the program.

Also, as an answer to you post in the other thread about location of the Beta, have you logged into the developers portal? The client, api, and related examples are located at http://www.iqfeed.net/dev/api.cfm after logging in. (You have paid for the developer's access?)
Edited by stargrazer on Jan 1, 2010 at 04:40 PM

David
-DTN Evangelist-

I'd rather be...

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 05:01 PM          Msg. 21 of 33
Quote: It is working in a sense that I am making money in my trades.

Great! That's what really counts.

May this new year bring you continued success.

David

IQXP Software
http://www.iqxp.com

LiveWire Update Service
PO Box 1417
Fairfield, IA 52556
641-472-8393
http://www.livewire-cablesoft.com/

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 06:10 PM          Msg. 22 of 33
Thank you very much guys. I did not expect any reaction on the first day of new year.

Happy New year to all of you.

Stargrazer, special thanks. it is very helpful. I feel now I may be able to tap IQFeed with only slight modifications of my own API.

AlexB
Edited by alexB on Jan 1, 2010 at 06:12 PM

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 06:14 PM          Msg. 23 of 33
I am cxurious, what those titles/ranks mean: interested user, Evangelist, etc.

AlexB
Edited by alexB on Jan 1, 2010 at 06:15 PM

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 06:27 PM          Msg. 24 of 33
Stargrazer, what do you mean by that? I dont quite comprehend your question.

One preliminary test: can you run the various programs as supplied with the IQFeed installation? If so, then the biggest hurdle has been crossed.

As I said I downloaded IQFeed API version 4.9 or whatever and tried to compile one of the projects under the solution. It failed no matter what i did. I finally traced it down to the fact that IQ32.dll is incompatible with my 64 bit OS and for some reason I cannot run VS2008 in 32 bit mode on the solution although I do have other applications that do that.

Honesly, Microsoft's development environment is so complex and life is so short I cannot devote time to investigate such technical glitches. It might be something with the API source code or some parameters I set incorrectly (it may be something I will discover accidentally next week or on a hunch), I don't know but it seems I have to answer your question in negative unless you mean some other programs I haven't yet seen.

Thanks.

AlexB
Edited by alexB on Jan 1, 2010 at 06:32 PM

stargrazer
-DTN Guru-

Right Here & Now

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 06:33 PM          Msg. 25 of 33
Does the self contained program iqconnect start for you and initiate a connection to iqfeed?

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 04:20 PM          Msg. 26 of 33
Does the self contained program iqconnect start for you and initiate a connection to iqfeed?

I am niot good with your terminology. I downloaded IQFeed and it is feeding one of my QT's. I am using it as a DataFeed. If this is what you mean, then the answer is yes.

I am running QT on two machiens now, one is fed by IQFeed and unfortunatley it is my development machine, not production machine. The other one, where I do my trades, is fed by TD-Ameritrade data source which is free for me as a subscriber. It seems I've noticed a significant difference between two feeds as far as my own API is concerned. I have sound and speech signals that it produces making me aware of certain events and the signaling is much richer on the machine where IQFeed is the source. They are standing side by side.

Eventually I am planning to either get another subscription or swiap sources since now I still in the dark as to how to handle all issues. I want to explore IQFeed fully in terms of capabilities and this is why I am asking all those "stupid questions."

It is also interesting to find out how other guys are using it.

Thanks.

AlexB
Edited by alexB on Jan 2, 2010 at 04:21 PM
Edited by alexB on Jan 2, 2010 at 04:22 PM

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 05:06 PM          Msg. 27 of 33
OK, I just downloaded 4.7 beta and tried to compile. When I tried to compile it in 32 bit memory model I got 23 errors including the ones I had before: unable to open version.dll and odbc32.dll. When I switched to 64 bit model in VS2008 I got 43 errorrs. They are all linkage errors. Some assemblies are not found. I tried to search the directory and could not see them visually but perhaps they are somewhere and in a couple of days they will appear in Vista search database.

Examples:

Error 11 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl RemoveClientApp(struct HWND__ *)" (?RemoveClientApp@@YAXPEAUHWND__@@@Z) referenced in function "protected: void __cdecl CSymbolLookupSocketDlg::OnClose(void)" (?OnClose@CSymbolLookupSocketDlg@@IEAAXXZ) SymbolLookupSocketDlg.obj SymbolLookupSocket

This seems to be a coding error:

Error 15 error C2555: 'CCriteriaDlg::DoModal': overriding virtual function return type differs and is not covariant from 'CDialog::DoModal' c:\vscplus_projects\iqfeed_4.7 vers\iqfeed\vc++ examples\optionchainsocket\CriteriaDlg.h 209 OptionChainSocket

Another unresolved symbol:

Error 18 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int __cdecl RegisterClientApp(struct HWND__ *,char *,char *,char *)" (?RegisterClientApp@@YAHPEAUHWND__@@PEAD11@Z) referenced in function "protected: virtual int __cdecl CNewsSocketXMLDlg::OnInitDialog(void)" (?OnInitDialog@CNewsSocketXMLDlg@@MEAAHXZ) NewsSocketXMLDlg.obj NewsSocketXML

And this is a reference to a dll it cannot dind:

Error 40 fatal error C1083: Cannot open type library file: '..\..\DTNIQFeedCOM.DLL': No such file or directory c:\vscplus_projects\iqfeed_4.7 vers\iqfeed\vc++ examples\systeminfocom\stdafx.h 120 SystemInfoCOM

There are also some rather alarming warnings in reference to depricated statements, loss of precision in conversion from INT_PTR to int which is of course up to the coders to guarantee. If they feel that no precision will be lost, then it is fine.

Another thing:

Error 50 error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\x64\Debug\stdafx.sbr': No such file or directory BSCMAKE SystemInfoCOM

I am wondering if anybody ever succeeded in compiling any of the packages or I am alone charting new territory? I want to take a poll:) If somebody ever did it successfully they can give me a helping hand.

Thanks.

AlexB
Edited by alexB on Jan 2, 2010 at 05:07 PM

stargrazer
-DTN Guru-

Right Here & Now

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 05:29 PM          Msg. 28 of 33
If you are able to start IQFeed and get data with another application, then you don't need to link to IQFeed libraries.

If you can't get a win32 platform, the best thing you can do is start from scratch.

Don't compile the samples.

Start your qt stuff. That gets IQFeed running in the background. You don't need to link to the iqfeed stuff.

Manually start a command line using cmd.exe

'telnet localhost 5009'

Read the documentation and figure out what commands you can manually type.

Once you see how easy it is to see responses, write a program from scratch which opens a local socket 5009, sends commands, and parses results.

You are basically emulating a telnet session to local port 5009.

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 06:42 PM          Msg. 29 of 33
It looks my Vista already indexed this directory and I found one header.

This file cannot be found: HistoryCOM3.sbr, also this: iq_api.sbr.

I found a couple of dlls but it seems still there are problems. And the linkage problems have nothing to do with dll's. It is probably again incompatibility with x64 playform.

Stargrazer, where can I get a copy of all IQFeed commands to manipulate stream and get backfills?

Thanks.

AlexB

alexB
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 06:44 PM          Msg. 30 of 33
Stargrazer, I read your post after I posted my questions. Thank you very much. It is very helpful.

Great!

AlexB

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Time: Fri April 19, 2024 4:24 PM CFBB v1.2.0 15 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003