Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"If you are serious about your trading I would not rely on IB data for serious daytrading. Took me a while to justify the cost of IQ Feed and in the end, it's just a 2 point stop on ES. Better safe than sorry" - Comment from Public Forum
"I'm very glad I switched to IQFeed. It's working perfectly with no lag, even during fast market conditions." - Comment from Andy via Email
"I just wanted to let you know how fast and easy I found it to integrate IQFeed into our existing Java code using your JNI client. In my experience, such things almost never go so smoothly - great job!" - Comment from Nate
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"If you want customer service that answers the phone, your best bet is IQFeed. I cannot stop praising them or their technical support. They are always there for you, and they are quick. I have used ****** too but the best value is IQFeed." - Comment from Public Forum
"Version 4.0.0.2 has been working well for me and I appreciate that it is now a much tighter client to work with. I feel I can go to press with my own application and rely on a stable platform" - Comment from David in IA.
"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
"You have an excellent feed. Very few spikes for Spot Forex." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"DTN feed was the only feed that consistently matched Bloomberg feed for BID/ASK data verification work these past years......DTN feed is a must for my supply & demand based trading using Cumulative Delta" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I've never had DTN go out on me since switching. ******* would go down a couple times every month when I was using them." - Comment from Bryce in AL.
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »NEW IQFEED FORUMS »Miscellaneous Messages »Crossed Quotes
Author Topic: Crossed Quotes (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)

stargrazer
-DTN Guru-

Right Here & Now

Posted: Jan 26, 2007 10:12 PM          Msg. 1 of 4
This is continuation of http://forums.dtnma.com/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1394

I realize crossed quotes are supposedly 'illiegal'. But I seem to recall this has been relaxed (once I find it, I'll post it, if I find it). However, certain feeds happen to contain quite a number of these instances. For instance, GOOG is a highly traded, highly volatile instrument. It has these crossed quotes very frequently on a daily basis. Even IQFeed's Level II data has these crossed quotes.

So... one would be led to believe that, as you say, exchanges are having problems at these times. But they happen to frequently to think this is the issue. Perhaps the quote stream is incomplete. But as mentioned, the simulation results were inconclusive and did not stand up to continued use. If simulated over a longer period of time and then run on live data, I can't fortell what the result would be. At some future time I may be able to say, that is, if the simulator comes up with this particular signal again.

nsolot
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jan 27, 2007 08:37 AM          Msg. 2 of 4
Here are some older threads

http://forums.dtnma.com/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1264

and a much older one

http://forums.dtnma.com/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=229&start=1

Since then QQQ changed to QQQQ and the primary market moved from Amex to Nasdaq. Running the same test for data from Jan 25, 2007, I show approx 0.5% of the time QQQQ and SPY are in a crossed state. My ATS focuses on these since the markets are highly liquid and with futures and options, arbs should clear any slight market inefficiencies very quickly.

Since I'm not using IQ's Level 2, I'm not sure if they provide a time stamp. Perhaps you might want to add your own, and then you can tell if the quote is "stale", or if it popped up recently outside the other BBOs. If the former, my hunch is that you couldn't get an execution at that price. If the latter, perhaps there is a trading opportunity. My guess is that if you're watching an active issue, and the quote is more than a few seconds old, you can't get executed at that price.

The next thing I would be looking at is whether the condition persists for more than a fraction of a second. Let's say you detect a crossed state, but it clears in less than 100ms. In that case, my hunch is that the quote you are seeing has already been updated, but that it takes time for a new quote to go from market center to IQ servers, and then out to you.

Another item which I find useful & enlightening is to analyze which are most active markets for the ticker you watch using the market center codes. Usually there are a few very active ones, and others which have very little volume. Using the regional quotes for the active market centers, I feel I can get a better picture of the "true" state of the market, while ignoring quotes from those markets where executions may be suspect.

stargrazer
-DTN Guru-

Right Here & Now

Posted: Jan 27, 2007 11:01 AM          Msg. 3 of 4
From the two links you posted, it would seem that crossed quotes is something inherent in a multi-location trading society, and like all the other 'noise'/'randomness' in market feeds, can be used or ignored as appropriate.

davemjohnson39
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 09:59 PM          Msg. 4 of 4
it is that I searched. thank you.

Time: Wed April 24, 2024 12:01 AM CFBB v1.2.0 12 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003