Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
"Just a thank you for the very helpful and prompt assistance and services. You provided me with noticeably superior service in my setup compared to a couple of other options I had looked at." - Comment from John
"Version 4.0.0.2 has been working well for me and I appreciate that it is now a much tighter client to work with. I feel I can go to press with my own application and rely on a stable platform" - Comment from David in IA.
"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"Excellent datafeed !!!" - Comment from Arely
"With HUGE volume on AAPL and RIMM for 2 days, everyone in a trading room was whining about freezes, crashes and lag with *******, RealTick, TS and Cyber. InvestorRT with IQFeed was rock solid. I mean SOLID!" - Comment from Public IRC Chat
"You have an excellent product !!!!!!" - Comment from Arely
"If you are serious about your trading I would not rely on IB data for serious daytrading. Took me a while to justify the cost of IQ Feed and in the end, it's just a 2 point stop on ES. Better safe than sorry" - Comment from Public Forum
"The service is great, I see a noticeable improvement in my volume profiles over [broker]'s data feed" - Comment from Larry
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »DTN.IQ Client Software Support »IQLink Comsumes GDI Objects
Author Topic: IQLink Comsumes GDI Objects (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)

budshane
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 02:45 PM          Msg. 1 of 11
I'm running IQ Feed 4713 with IQ Link. I also have Quote Tracker running. IQLink feeds data to an Open Office spreadsheet using DDE. When Link starts it is using 16 GDI's. It gradually increases GDI's to a very large value (4,000 or more), slowing down the operation of Windows 7 64bit. User Objects also increases.

I currently have 279 symbols active. Any ideas on what is happening?

Bud Schoen
Kailua, Hawaii

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 03:14 PM          Msg. 2 of 11
I can't think of anything in IQLink that would be creating GDI objects other than the status dialog but that shouldn't be the cause of what you are seeing.

You mentioned that it gradually increases. Over how long of a timeframe do you see this happen?

budshane
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 03:39 PM          Msg. 3 of 11
Yes, why GDI is used is a good question. It starts with 16 then increases slowly one by one. I thought it might have something to do with Quotetracker running, but I ran only the spreadsheet and it does the same thing.

Eventually I have to stop the spreadsheet, kill IQLink, then start over. Annoying!

Bud Schoen
Kailua, Hawaii

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 03:50 PM          Msg. 4 of 11
Can you tell me how long of a timeframe you are looking at until you see it increasing?

I am not seeing the same thing here but then again, we are now after the market so that might have something to do with it. Also, I am feeding into excel instead of OO but that really shouldn't make a difference either.

budshane
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 04:17 PM          Msg. 5 of 11
I tried shutting all down, then starting IQLink. It came up with 16 GDI Objects.
I then started the spreadsheet and clicked on update links. I didnot bring up the window that shows the connections as I usually do. The GDI stayed at 16, the User Objects went up to 1776. Although it's after hours, some data is coming in and it's still stable at 16 GDI.

I opened the IQLink Statistics window and the GDI is now increasing at about 1 per second.

Hopefully, that should be easy for the programmers to find. In the meantime, I'll be careful to not open that window.

Let me know what happens.

Bud Schoen
Kailua, Hawaii

budshane
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 04:20 PM          Msg. 6 of 11
Oops, I should have mentioned that I closed the window immediatly.

It's still increasing, now up to 172, window definitely closed.

Bud Schoen
Kailua, Hawaii

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 04:26 PM          Msg. 7 of 11
Unfortunately, at the current time, I can't duplicate it. I've had the status window open for nearly an hour and it is still sitting at 16 GDI objects.

Can you post which symbols and which fields for each symbol you are watching? Or can you post your OO workbook (you will have to zip it)?

budshane
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 06:24 PM          Msg. 8 of 11
Would be hard to send my sheet, here's what I tried:
1. Start IQLink, noted that there were 16 GDI.
2. Opened blank oo calc sheet.
3. In col B2 typed =DDE("IQLink";$A2;B$1)
4. In row 1 put Last Change Volume
5 in Col A put in a partial list of SP400 symbols
6. Copied B2 to all other slots. Have about 50 symbols with values in them
7. Opened IQLink window.\
8. GDI now increasing at about 1 per second, maybe slower than my sheet.

I'm running Win 7 Professional 64 bit with 2.2G 4 core processor, 8 GB mem.

Can you duplicate using oo Calc? I don't have Excel on this machine.

Bud Schoen
Kailua, Hawaii

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 12:02 PM          Msg. 9 of 11
Bud, I was able to duplicate this but it required duplicating your exact setup. Meaning, it doesn't seem to happen on any other OS than Win7 (I only have 64bit so I haven't tested on 32bit Win7).

This doesn't seem to happen on 32 or 64 bit Vista.

I will add this to the list of issues to look into for IQFeed.

budshane
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 12:20 PM          Msg. 10 of 11
Interesting. I have Win7 32 bit on my laptop but I don't want to try it now since I'll interupt the IQFeed now on the 64 bit machine. This afternoon I'll see what happens on the laptop and post it here.

As long as I don't open the IQLink window all is fine.

Bud Schoen
Kailua, Hawaii

budshane
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 06:09 PM          Msg. 11 of 11
Ran some more tests:
1. Ran same setup on laptop, Win7 32bit. Had IQ ver 4403. Same result.
Kept increasing even after Calc shut down.
2. Ran Win XP on desktop. Had IQ ver 4607. Started w/ 17 GDI. When window opened
started increasing. Kept increasing after oo Calc shutdown.
3. Downloaded IQ ver 4720. Still on XP. Same w/ oo Calc.
4. Went back to Win7 64 bit.
Tried running similar app using Quatro Pro 8 spreadsheet.
Still increases when Link window opened.

Looks like it's not tied to oo Calc (I don't have Excel) but the older Quattro Pro is different than Calc. Also it's there in previous versions of IQFeed.
I don't have Vista (thank goodness!)

Perhaps it's the climate in Hawaii? Windows grow better here.

Bud Schoen
Kailua, Hawaii

Time: Tue April 23, 2024 7:54 PM CFBB v1.2.0 9 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003